This blog was originally posted on February 28th, 2010. I chose to include it in Contesting: The Name It & Claim It Game as an additional chapter as I wanted to share every nugget of Helene’s wisdom I had that was applicable to winning. Here is the updated, edited version from her book.
Fourteen Karats of Wisdom
Helene never stopped learning or teaching. In her last year of life, she was inspired by the Olympic games and asked me to share the following article for you to enjoy.
Are You A Gold-Silver or Bronze Winner?
The 2010 Olympic awards medals for physical performances; I purpose that we have awards for anyone that uses their mind-imagination & benevolent actions on a daily basis.
Answer the following questions to see how you rate.
- Do you act on your emotions? Logic may provide the reason for buying or doing something, but emotion supplies the urge.
- Are you using your sixth sense, a knowing that just happens? If so, you can move mountains with persistence and determination.
- I once read people are divided into three groups: (1) those who make things happen, (2) those who watch things happen, and (3) those who wonder, “What happened?”. Do you make things happen?
- I dislike the saying, “Never cross a bridge until you come to it.” The world is owned by men and women who cross-bridges in their imagination miles and miles in advance of the procession. Are you one of those people?
- Do you try to make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes?
- What you think means more than anything else in your life more than what you earn, more than where you live, more than your social position, and more than what anyone else may think about you. Are you aware of this?
- Wholeheartedness is contagious. Give of yourself if you want to get it from others. Are you practicing this rule?
- Have you always been able to tell when you’re on the right track because that track has always been uphill?
- Are you like a duck-calm and unruffled on the surface, paddling like the devil underneath?
- Have you learned that it’s not who is right, but what is right that matters?
- Are you aware that your goodwill is the only asset that competition cannot undersell or destroy?
- Did you know that if you look successful, you’re going to be successful? People will have confidence in you if you look like you have confidence in yourself.
- Did you know that when you can do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you can command the attention of the world?
- If you do what you feel when you feel it, you could continue to go It seems that when you’re young, you worry about what everyone thinks about you. At about age 30, you may come to realize the world wasn’t paying that close attention. Have you learned that yet?
To qualify for a GOLD Medal, you must have had the perfect score of 14.
To qualify for a SILVER Medal, you must have answered yes to 10 questions.
To qualify for a BRONZE Medal, you must have scored 8 points.
Anyone that has fewer than 8 points needs an Attitude Adjustment.